"First, Do no harm"... Or so the Hippocratic Oath is presumed to begin.
The Dwyer/Marron "Friends of Science in Medicine" campaign against the teaching, insurance/reimbursement-for and ultimately practice of Alternative Therapies and Medicines of which they, and they alone, do not approve, is based on a central fallacy:
People are much safer being treated by the Medical Establishment not using Alternative Therapies and Medicines, but exactly the reverse is true.
This debate is "all about Evidence", as in hard-data, but Patient Safety and Quality of Care must be examined first before any debate on Effectiveness can even be started.
The flip-side is the erroneous logic that "Good Science" is somehow causally linked to "Good Patient Care", but FoSiM ignore the Golden Rule of Execution:
Science and Knowledge don't deliver outcomes, Practice does.
Before the Dwyer/Marron group can argue against any Therapy, Treatment or Medicine, by its own strict rules ("there must always be very strong Evidence"), it must:
Show us the Data!The worst logical trick and intellectual swindle played by the Dwyer/Marron group is their conflation and confusion of terms:
Where is their Evidence, the "Good Science" they want from everyone else, to demand any changes?
- A slew of unrelated practices are strung together in one long line of gibberish, with no distinction between recognised, well-controlled modalities and others, with all presumed to be 'equivalent'.
If the Dwyer/Marron group cannot, or will not, distinguish between a piece of crud and a gem, what relevance or vracity do their arguments have?
- In Australia, there is a trivial and essential differentiator between all Medical Therapies, Practices and Medicines:
- Is there a AHPRA Registration Board? and hence
- Do Practitioners have a Medicare Provider Number?
The failure of the Dwyer/Marron group to make this simple and essential distinction invalidates all their arguments, just who are they vociferously and ferociously objecting to?
- For the Dwyer/Marron group to disagree with Government Policy and Processes is their Democratic right.
For them to not understand the way these decisions and processes are changed is via Lobbying and the Political process is both ludicrous and naive.
Even in their Constitutions' statement of Object, they don't define or elaborate on their terms:
- "Good Science" is a vague, ill-defind term. To quote Shakespeare's Macbeth:
"it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing".
- There are "scientific methodologies" (hypotheses, test, result) and "(apparently) good or valid studies/experiments" with "strong evidence", but "Good Science" is at best a lay-person's term, not something any Professional in the field would use.
- Likewise, "Medicine" is a broad church...
There is no definition ever offered for FoSiM's frequently used acronym, "CAM", presumably "Complementary and Alternative Medicine". This has some mysterious meaning only known to the Inner Sanctum of the Dwyer/Marron group. I expect it falls in the category of "I know it when I see it", a throughly undisciplined, non-rigourous and unscientific methodology - because it is inexact, ill-defined and non-repeatable.
Invalid and irrelevant, like the rest of their bluster, assertion, dogma and prejudice parading as "the opinion of experts", because they can provide no test or Evidence to show, as Dawkins says, "what works and what doesn't".
The very real risk they face with their simplistic and naive thinking is that if they ever construct testable definitions, then a good deal of their own Establishment Medicine would be found wanting.
It comes down to this:
The Dwyer/Marron group have no documented process or methodology to define the Alternative Therapies and Medicines of which they, and they alone, do not approve. They have a loose, informal, self-referential definition: "Good Science, it's what we say it is".
They are self-appointed experts and judges, without credentials, special expertise or relevant experience, who are presuming to force their opinions, biases and prejudices upon the rest of us.
Whenever they cry "Show us The Evidence" or "That's not Good Science", all they are displaying is their own ignorance, ineptitude and biases.